- This event has passed.
New Operator Training
September 23 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Join the volunteer team at the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum as a trolley operator!
This fall, the museum is offering two classes for those interested in educating visitors about the Trolley Era. Our New Operator Training offers a fun, hands-on opportunity to learn how to operate a trolley and qualify to be a museum operator. During Tour Guide Training, our experienced guides will teach students how to lead a successful museum tour. We encourage those interested in operating to attend both classes, but we are also looking for volunteers just interested in giving tours and sharing history with others.
As the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum prepares to open its new Welcome & Education Center, we are looking for lots of new volunteers! This is a great opportunity to meet people who share a passion for trolleys, transportation, and history education. If you or anyone you know is interested in attending a class, please see the following instructions to register. Please send all questions to Morgan Meer, Volunteer Recruiter and Coordinator, at email@example.com. Can’t wait to see you there!
New Operator Training
- Saturday, September 23
- Sunday, September 24
- An additional training day to be scheduled with our instructors at your convenience
Attendance is required on both dates. Class will be held from 9:00 am to approximately 4:00 pm. Please bring a copy of your driver’s license and lunch for both days. Materials will be provided, including a binder with an Operations Manual and other training info. If you’d like to get a head start, please reach out, and we’ll send you the materials! Interested operators are encouraged to register for a Tour Guide Training session in addition to New Operator Training.
All student operators will need to be museum members and submit up-to-date clearances (instructions below) by the time of training .
Sign up with the following form: New Operator Application
Space is limited so RSVP today!
Volunteers in Pennsylvania and at PTM are required to have up-to-date clearances. For PA residents, that’s the Act 33 Child Abuse History and Act 34 PA State Police Criminal Record Check. If you’ve lived out of state within the past 10 years, you’ll also need the FBI fingerprint-based background check. The two PA clearances are free for volunteers! The FBI check is approximately $23, but the Museum has a limited budget to reimburse volunteers who provide a receipt.
Minors should complete the Minor consent form and Act 34 background check (email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information).
- Child Abuse History (free)
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- Select “Create a New Account.” When asked for a Keystone ID, you need to create your own username.
- Complete all of the appropriate boxes and a temporary password will be sent to the email address that you have provided. Once you have the password, you re-enter the website and complete the request for the clearance.
- If a clearance is not issued immediately, you can log into your account at a later time to see the status of the request.
- To be safe, check the box requesting a written copy of your clearance in the event that you have trouble printing it. Print 2 copies of the clearance, one for your personal records and one for the Volunteer Coordinator.
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check (free)
- Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Select “New Volunteer Record Check” and follow the prompts to complete the application
- The security check is usually completed within a few minutes. Print 2 copies of the completed clearance form provided, one for your personal records and one for the Volunteer Coordinator.
- FBI fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check
- Only for those who have lived out of state within the past 10 years
- Register at identogo.com/locations/pennsylvania .
- Select Digital Fingerprinting.
- The Service Code that is requested is 1KG6ZJ .
- The fee can be paid using a credit or debit card.
- You may choose the most convenient site to go to be fingerprinted, the site list can be found at the above mentioned website.
- A photo ID is required at the time of fingerprinting.