We're now open Thursday through Sunday! Come see us from 10 AM to 4 PM!

Shamokin & Mount Carmel 33

#33 In Dec 1934
Shomokin & Mt Carmel #33 At Knoebel's Grove Circ. 1938.
S&Mt C 33 Green Ridge (Strong), Car House December 15, 1934. Howard E. Johnston Photo
SMC33 Arrival At PTM.JLDphoto (3)
Shamokin & Mt Carmel #33 Inside Reliance Building, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum 8-18-23. Scott Becker Photo
Toonerville 33 South Side Looking East. 9-7-23. Scott Becker Photo
Sink & Toilet Inside #33. 8-18-23. Scott Becker Photo.
Sink Inside #33. 8-18-23. Scott Becker Photo
IMG_0099

The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum (PTM) is pleased to announce that it has acquired a vintage 1906 trolley car body from Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, PA.   The car was delivered to PTM by Brownlee Trucking, Inc. on August 16, 2023.

Shamokin & Mount Carmel Trolley #33 is a rare, 1906 vintage semi-convertible streetcar built by J.G. Brill for the Shamokin & Mt Carmel Electric Railway Co. to serve the anthracite coal communities in Northumberland County. At one point, it was used by the company to shuttle coal miners during shift changes at the mines.

In 1938, it became a cottage at Knoebels Amusement Resort (formerly Knoebels Groves). Large letters on the side of the car read “Toonerville 33,” which referred to a popular newspaper cartoon feature by Fontaine Fox called Toonerville Folks that ran from 1908 to 1955. The car was later moved under a park pavilion for use by a woodcarver and was recently relocated for storage.

“We’ve loved having the trolley in our park for guests to enjoy in a variety of ways for over 80 years. We’re sad to see this rich piece of history leave Knoebels, but we know it will be in great hands with the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum,” said Rick Knoebel, Fourth generation Knoebel family member and co-owner.

Knoebels Amusement Resort is America’s largest free-admission amusement park located in Elysburg, PA, Northumberland County. The family-friendly resort offers free parking, free entertainment, and free picnic facilities. The resort is home to a line-up of nearly 60 thrill, family and kiddie rides. In addition to rides, Knoebels features award-winning food, challenging games, shopping, a 900,000-gallon Crystal Pool, golf, and two campgrounds for visiting families. Knoebels has been owned and operated by the Knoebel family since its opening in 1926. For more information, visit www.knoebels.com.

As can be seen in the photos, the car body is in excellent condition and still sports a sink and toilet from its days as a cabin. PTM will work to find the missing mechanical equipment and running gear, which was removed when it became a cabin, so the car can eventually become operational on PTM’s trolley line. We are thankful the Knoebel family decided we were the best home for the trolley and to the Electric City Trolley Museum for letting us know it was available.

Car Number

33

Year Built

1906

Year Acquired

2023

Car Builder

J.G. Brill Company

Type

Semi-convertible, deck-roof

Location

Reliance

A Collection of Nearly 50 Cars and Counting

support our mission to keep the trolley era alive