Originally built to switch railroad freight cars at an industrial plant in Eastern Pennsylvania, diesel-electric locomotive PTM 89 is undergoing a conversion to match the 5′ 2.5″ track width used by the museum’s demonstration railway. When completed, it will service PTM as our shop switcher, to move equipment in and out of the repair and restoration shop, as a rescue locomotive should a trolley be stranded out on the line by any sort of electrical problem, and as a snowplow to clear the trackage for winter operations. Over 550 of these handy little locomotives were built by the General Electric Co. at Erie, PA between 1938 and 1970. In the course of its modifications and repairs at PTM, it has received new wheels and other drive train parts and an overhauled Cummins diesel engine.
15'0" (18' over couplers)
General Electric Locomotive Works
51,000 lbs. (25.5 Tons)
GE 733 (1)
Regauged to wider gauge, in service to hostle streetcars