By the early 1970s, the condition of Pittsburgh’s streetcars had deteriorated to deplorable levels. Thanks to managers like Harold Geissenheimer and John Mauro, though, the Port Authority began a program of rehabilitation to make the equipment attractive, and of marketing to make the public aware of how good public transit could be.
More than 25 of PAT’s 1945 cars were treated to an extensive rebuilding to replace salt-rotted structural components, and were painted in bright colors inside and out. Car 1799 was completed in 1979 and represents the final car in this program; it was painted in colors approximating its delivery scheme (when it was car 1613). The car was used on the South Hills routes until 1986.
|Car Number||1799||Car Builder||St. Louis Car Company|
|Year Built||1945||Type||SE PCC|
|Height||10’0″||Weight||36,265 lbs. (18.1 tons)|
|Seats||54||Motors||WH 1432J + GE 1198 or 1220|
|Year Acquired||1990||Status||Stored under tarp|