In 1897, most businesses paid their employees in cash, and the United Traction Company of Pittsburgh was no exception. That year, they converted this 1890 passenger car to a traveling payroll car. When the city’s major trolley companies were combined to form Pittsburgh Railways Company in 1902, this important car continued its vital schedule of regular visits to all the car houses to pay all the employees. It featured security provisions to protect both the money and the armed men who disbursed it.
M1 was the first car acquired for the Museum, purchased by the founding members (seen in the photo above) in 1949 shortly after the cash payroll system was discontinued. It is one of the oldest electric cars in existence at any museum.
|Car Number||M1||Car Builder||Pullman Car Company|
|Year Built||1890||Type||ST Pay Car|
|Weight||27,000 lbs. (13.5 tons)||Motors||WH 93A|
|Year Acquired||1949||Status||Stored inoperable, Artifact Preservation Building.|