This year, the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum will be offering two new operator training classes as well as flexible training dates for people that can not make the group training dates. If you or anyone you know is interested in becoming an operator, please let Kevin Zebley, Operations Manager, know at email@example.com. General questions regarding volunteering or paperwork can be directed to Kristen Fredriksen, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Museum is in great need of new operators! This is a chance to meet people with similar interests and become part of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum team. The dates of new operator training for the winter/spring session are:
Saturday, February 25
Sunday, February 26
An additional training day to be scheduled with our instructors at your convenience
Attendance is required at both in-person dates. After your additional training day, your instructor may ask you to come for an additional training session, or you may be cleared to begin operating for the public.
Tour guide + customer service training will be covered separately, though you will be provided with the latest tour training guide.
Class will be held from 9:00 am to approximately 3:30 pm. This will be a fun and enjoyable hands-on experience and we look forward to working with anyone who enjoys the trolley era, technology, or history in general. Please consider helping PTM be successful as we prepare to move into our new Welcome & Education Center.
Materials will be provided, including a binder with an Operations Manual and other training info! If you’d like to get a head start, please reach out and we’ll send you the materials!
For more information about becoming an operator or to sign up for the class, email email@example.com. Space is limited so RSVP today!
What You’ll Need
-Bring a lunch!
-Driver’s license – we’ll make a copy
-Warm layers – most of the instruction will be on or alongside the trolleys and some have better heat than others!
–Museum membership is required to be an operator
-Clearances: volunteers in Pennsylvania and at PTM are required to have up-to-date clearances. For PA residents, that’s the Act 33 Child Abuse History and Act 34 PA State Police Criminal Record Check. If you’ve lived out of state within the past 10 years, you’ll also need the FBI fingerprint-based background check. The two PA clearances are free for volunteers! The FBI check is approximately $23, but the Museum has a limited budget to reimburse volunteers who provide a receipt.
-Minors: Minor consent form and Act 34 background check (email firstname.lastname@example.org for info)
- Child Abuse History (free)
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- Select “Create a New Account.” When asked for a Keystone ID, you need to create your own user name.
- Complete all of the appropriate boxes and a temporary password will be sent to the email address that you have provided. Once you have the password, you re-enter the website and complete the request for the clearance.
- If a clearance is not issued immediately, you can log into your account at a later time to see the status of the request.
- To be safe, check the box requesting a written copy of your clearance in the event that you have trouble printing it. Print 2 copies of the clearance, one for your personal records and one for the Volunteer Coordinator.
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check (free)
- Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Select “New Volunteer Record Check” and follow the prompts to complete the application
- The security check is usually completed within a few minutes. Print 2 copies of the completed clearance form provided, one for your personal records and one for the Volunteer Coordinator.
- FBI fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check
- Only for those who have lived out of state within the past 10 years
- Register at identogo.com/locations/pennsylvania .
- Select Digital Fingerprinting.
- The Service Code that is requested is 1KG6ZJ .
- The fee can be paid using a credit or debit card.
- You may choose the most convenient site to go to be fingerprinted, the site list can be found at the above mentioned website.
- A photo ID is required at the time of fingerprinting.