West Shelter – Harmony Route
In addition to more than a dozen long and high bridges, the Harmony Route constructed a variety of structures to handle passengers, freight traffic and electrical distribution. For many years, the museum was aware that buildings had survived as businesses at Keown, Wexford, Evans City, Ellwood City and Beaver Falls, but it wasn’t until 1989 that museum members discovered that one of the line’s original waiting shelters had been preserved in its original location at the border of Adams and Cranberry Townships in southwestern Butler County.
Although the exact date is unknown, it is thought that the West shelter was erected around the time the line was opened in 1908. The stop name comes from the West farm on which it was originally located, but it was a farmer named Ziegler who built a house and barn adjacent to the stop to take advantage of shipping milk by trolley. Because of its rural location, West stop was also a popular summer retreat for city dwellers wishing to get back to nature. Near the stop were numerous camps and even a guest home.
The shelter remained in its original location for several years after the line was abandoned but was eventually removed to a neighboring farm. In the early 1980s, local historian Jim English retrieved the building and returned it to its original location on his property, where it remained until donated to the Museum by his family in April 1992.
West was extensively rebuilt in 1993 and put on display across from the Richfol platform. In 2012, additional rebuilting and repainting was undertaken as an Eagle Scout project.
STREET RAILWAY ERA STRUCTURES