A dozen of these lightweight, “curved-side” cars were acquired for West Penn’s Allegheny Valley Street Railway during the winter of 1929-30. Introduced on Valentine’s Day 1930, they afforded patrons the finest accommodations of the day on the routes between Aspinwall, New Kensington and Natrona. Company accountants liked them, too, because they required one crewman instead of two.
After the Valley Route was abandoned in 1937, the cars were moved to the company’s Coke Region division, where they ran on routes to Latrobe, Fairchance, Phillips and South Connellsville. 832 was the last of the series in service, finishing up on the South Connellsville route at the end of rail operations in 1952.
832 was the second car acquired for the Museum and trucked from Connellsville to Charleroi Car House on the Pittsburgh Railways system in February 1953. In May 1953 the car was operated on a special fundraising “fantrip” and brought from Charleroi to Ingram Car House.
February 7, 1954, West Penn 832 was moved under its own power with Pittsburgh Railways M1 and 3756, to its new home in Washington County along the former Washington interurban right-of-way near the village of Arden.
Seven years of outdoor storage took its toll on 832 and the car was inoperative at the time the museum started operation in 1962 and extensive repairs were undertaken. Work on the car was sporatic until 2010 when the restoration effort became the focus of a Transportation Enhancement Grant. A restoration plan was written and bids were received for execution of the work from interested firms. In August 2010 the car and its assorted parts were shipped to Brookville Corporation in Brookville Pennsylvania and work commenced. The car was returned in July of 2011 for completion of work in the PTM restoration shop. That work continues today. On your next visit ask the store attendant for a look.
832 is significant as the only Cincinnati Car Company curved side design to be preserved intact from operating use.
|Car Builder||Cincinnati Car Company|
|Car Type||DE Curved-Side Interurban|
|Status||Ongoing restoration in PTM Shop since July 2011|