Trolley patronage grew dramatically after 1900, necessitating larger streetcars than the first four-wheelers. Car 3487 is an early example of a heavy eight-wheel model. Underneath the steel sheeting is an almost all-wood design. The car’s powerful motors allowed trailers to be towed for even more capacity. This is the type of car that opened service on the Charleroi interurban route in 1902.
Car 3487 was converted for work car duty in 1934 (it was based at the Charleroi Car House) and thus survived into the 1950s, when it was acquired by the Museum. It is the last of its type.
|Car Number||3487||Car Builder||St. Louis Car Company|
|Year Built||1905||Type||DTDE City – High Floor|
|Height||11’2″||Weight||59,000 lbs. (29.5 tons)|
|Year Acquired||1956||Status||Trolley Display Building exhibit|