Pittsburgh Railways Co. 1711

1711 enters the north end of County Home Siding at the Museum, as it would have many times from 1949-1953.

1711 enters the north end of County Home Siding at the Museum, as it would have many times from 1949-1953.

Pittsburgh’s newest PCC cars were unquestionably the most distinctive. These last 100 units, delivered in 1948-49, differed in many ways from the cars that had come before them. From the outside, the most distinctive changes included the sealed windows (to prevent accidents) with small standee windows (windows for standing passengers) in a row above. On the front of the car, bright triangular wings again outlined the headlight and small dash lights flanked the top corners. On the roof, a cowling running the length of the roof provided intake for the car’s ventilation system. Inside, a new seating arrangement allowed all of the passengers to face forward, while four large Sturtevant fans punctuated the ceiling, providing fresh air in lieu of openable windows.
A special group of 1700s (numbers 1700-1724) were equipped with special running gear for service on Pittsburgh Railways’ long Charleroi and Washington interurban lines: a package shelf in place of the first seat behind the operator, a ticket printer, an emergency tool kit, a spare trolley pole secured in special brackets on the roof and a roof-mounted headlight. After acceptance, 1711 was one of seven cars assigned to Tylerdale car house in Washington. It was chosen for preservation at PTM because it operated on the line which became our museum home, and also because it was historically significant as the last car to carry regular passengers from Washington to Pittsburgh early on the morning of August 30, 1953.
Car 1711 was retired from active service in August 1988, and acquired from Port Authority Transit in April 1990. On the way to the museum, 1711 was detoured to the BarrCannon Body Company in Meadowlands, PA, where workmen overhauled it inside and out, under the watchful eye of founding member George Tucker, who also generously donated the cost of the work performed.
Subsequently, 1711 was sent to the Adtranz (now Bombardier) facility in Elmira, NY for a complete structural rebuild. During that process, the interior was restored to the original 1949 appearance.

view next roster entry
return to Roster of Collection page

Car Number 1711
Car Builder St. Louis Car Company
Year Built 1949
Year Acquired 1990
Car Type SE President’s Conference Committee (all electric)
Length 46’6″
Width 8’4″
Height 10’3″
Weight 37,500 lb.
Seats 50
Motors WH1432K
Status In operating fleet