When the Red Arrow Lines (Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company) needed additional modern equipment to handle the burgeoning postwar population growth in Philadelphia’s western suburbs, it turned to St. Louis Car Company. (Red Arrow’s traditional builder of choice, J.G. Brill, had ceased street railway production following construction of Brilliners 1-10 in 1941.)
The fourteen cars supplied by St. Louis were quite advanced for the day, featuring streamlined bodies of the PCC car but riding on traditional wheelsets designed larger motors for high-speed operation. Little wonder, then, that car 24 (and sister 14, beautifully restored to its 1949 appearance and in service at the Museum) remained in regular operation until new cars were purchased in 1982.
Car 24 is the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum’s newest streetcar (only our 1960 subway car is newer).
Someday, 24’s replacement may sit next to it in a museum display!
|Car Number||24||Car Builder||St. Louis Car Company|
|Year Built||1949||Type||DE streamlined suburban car|
|Height||10’0″||Weight||49,000 lbs. (22 tons)|
|Year Acquired||1983||Status||Stored outdoors under tarp|