February 7, 2014 marks the 60th Anniversary since Pennsylvania Trolley Museum arrived in Chartiers Township, Washington County Pennsylvania. On that day the museum collection made the trip to Arden on the Washington interurban line for the first day of operation for Pennsylvania’s FIRST Trolley Museum. The trip from Pittsburgh brought three streetcars and well wishers to County Home siding to establish the Arden Electric Railway which has evolved to become the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum.
In 1954 the museum was the primary project of the Pittsburgh Electric Railway Club that was founded in 1946. February 7th marks the first day of operation of cars on the Museum’s line and marked the start of nine years of volunteer “sweat equity” that saw construction of a carbarn, substation building, connecting trackage and overhead wire to the building and acquisition of five additional streetcars. The hard work paid off in December 1962 with a public open house where volunteers and museum supporters enjoyed the fruits of their labors. Finally, on June 23, 1963 the Grand Opening and dedication by Washington County Commissioners and friends officially welcomed the new attraction to the community.